POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric : Re: imperial vs metric Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: imperial vs metric
From: John VanSickle
Date: 28 Aug 2010 03:01:30
Message: <4c78b44a$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/23/2010 2:47 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Metric has the advantage that you don't get into weird problems with
> units when you do science. I don't think it really matters that things
> are specifically multiples of 10 until you start getting into figuring
> out ranges of numbers where exponents come into play.

If you've taken physics, the real help comes in the fact that the
majority of units are some multiple of other units with no other factors
to throw in (and thus, misremembered at times).

For example, one Watt (unit of power) is equal to one Joule (unit of
energy) per second.  One horsepower (imperial unit of power) is equal to
some silly number of foot-pounds per second.

Regards,
John