POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : imperial vs metric : Re: imperial vs metric Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: imperial vs metric
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Aug 2010 19:53:39
Message: <4c79a183$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> I'm not saying metric isn't easier. I'm pointing out that imperial stuff,
>> since it's based on people, is very poor at measuring things that aren't
>> approximately relevant to people, like the weight of planets or the size of
>> atoms.
>
> It's not just that: imperial isn't precise.  I asked before and it was ignored,

Well, *now* it is precise. Obviously it wasn't precise when it was
formulated.  I think the foot, however, was the size of some specific king's
foot. And the metric measurements have changed definitions over the years as
well.

> Besides, you need to put true mental calculations at work to convert between
> units, instead of simply moving the point forward or backwards between
> centimeters, meters and kilometers...

Sure, because there are different units, unlike the SI measurements which
only have one unit per fundamental element being measured. I still have to
put mental calculations forth to translate between seconds and meters, or
between meters and light-years, or between watt-hours and watt-months, or
between moles and grams, because they're different units based on arbitrary
physical properties. The fact that one has to translate between inches and
feet isn't really any more of a problem than the fact that metric
measurements have to translate between seconds and years.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Quoth the raven: