POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? (Message 59 to 68 of 108)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
Date: 8 Jun 2010 04:20:00
Message: <web.4c0dfc65b36819a6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > As an aside, on the few occasions I've driven in the US, I was amazed how
> > short
> > the acceleration/deceleration lanes were for exits... this was in the
> > MA/NH area
> > so I don't know if it's the same everywhere. Our slips roads in the UK are
> > often
> > 3x as long!
>
> Ditto here in Germany, very short compared to UK. Also the off-ramps
> suddenly go into a very tight corner which you can only take at 30 mph or
> so.
>
> This one here is near where I live, and is fairly typical:
>
> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=48.138643,11.397221&spn=0.00552,0.01074&t=k&z=17

Eek. Compare that with this, a fairly typical junction on the M40:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=k&ie=UTF8&ll=51.739759,-1.095693&spn=0.009527,0.01929&z=16

and because many (most?) of our junctions are elevated above the motorway,
coasting up the slip roads naturally brakes the car without having to use the
brakes at all.

(and look, you can see the Oxford services as a bonus)

Post a reply to this message