POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 8 Jun 2010 06:55:00
Message: <web.4c0e20e3b36819a6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Oh I normally turn off just before that one so never seen it IRL :-)

Well I'm sure you've seen plenty like it :)

> Also the UK layout does a pretty good job of stopping you going the wrong
> way down the slip road by accident, because to do so you would have to do
> something like a 160 degree turn to get on the slip road.

True, I never thought of that.

> In Germany there are quite often people joining the wrong way (I hear it on
> the radio every few weeks), as often the two slip roads come together with
> nothing separating them, it would be possible without much effort to just
> take the left lane rather than the right lane, then wham you're turning into
> the face of an oncoming autobahn :-(

Practically unheard of here, although it does happen occasionally.

Just for the spectacle, here's a highly atypical UK intersection, the infamous
'spaghetti' junction on the M6:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.510749,-1.865101&spn=0.009364,0.01929&t=k&z=16

It look pretty hairy, but unless you're on the bottom level you don't really
notice it's there. And you can pretty much take all of these slip roads at
40-50mph (except maybe the uppermost c-shaped one) - I speak from experience!