POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jun 2010 07:51:25
Message: <4c0e2ebd@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2010 10:26, schrieb scott:
> (Note left/right here is for driving on the right, for driving on the
> left countries reverse the left/rights).
> My girlfriend says that I should flash them and not overtake on the
> right, but IME this is easily interpretted as quite aggressive behaviour
> and could lead to more problems (eg them still not moving over or even
> worse deliberate braking or other aggressive behaviour).
>
> What do you do?

Here in Germany we have virtually the same rules, but we also have a
clear official position on this: Move to the leftmost lane, and set the
direction indicator to the left to signal your intention to overtake.
All the while, keep your distance.

Flashing them (I guess by this term you mean giving them a short flash
of the headlights) would constitute misuse, as this is officialy
supposed to be used only to warn others of some danger, but AFAIK
officially it's just a minor offense, and police closes one or two eyes
on various uses of flashing (actually I can't find it in the curent

traffic rules), so I consider it a fair option if the "lane hogger"
doesn't react to the direction indicators within due time. By all means,
however, you should keep your distance in this case! In Germany,
tailgating is often judged as coercion (an outright felony),
/especially/ when combined with flashing. Keeping proper distance when
flashing also helps prevent misunderstandings, signalling that you do
respect that other driver.

Overtaking on the right is a no-go, obviously considered worse than lane
hogging: While overtaking on the right is bound to cost 100,- EUR over
here, lane hogging (and slow overtaking) is "only" 80,- EUR.