POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: scott
Date: 8 Jun 2010 08:11:59
Message: <4c0e338f@news.povray.org>
> Here in Germany we have virtually the same rules, but we also have a clear
> official position on this: Move to the leftmost lane, and set the
> direction indicator to the left to signal your intention to overtake. All
> the while, keep your distance.

OK I wasn't aware of that being the official position, good to know.  Are
you meant to indicate once or continuously until they move over?

> however, you should keep your distance in this case! In Germany,
> tailgating is often judged as coercion (an outright felony), /especially/
> when combined with flashing. Keeping proper distance when flashing also
> helps prevent misunderstandings, signalling that you do respect that other
> driver.

Agreed, if it's one thing I always try to do 100% correctly it's to keep a
safe distance.  From the bussgeld page it seems the fines can get quite high
for tailgating at high speed.

I see people dangerously tailgating quite a lot, I wonder if I filmed them
(not handheld whilst driving obviously) and handed the film to the police,
would they do anything about it?

> Overtaking on the right is a no-go, obviously considered worse than lane
> hogging: While overtaking on the right is bound to cost 100,- EUR over
> here, lane hogging (and slow overtaking) is "only" 80,- EUR.

OK, looks like I'll stop with my current tactic of waiting then overtaking
on the right, a 100 EUR automatic fine is quite high.  So far I've only got
a couple of 15 EUR fines for doing high 30's km/hr in a 30 limit, getting a
100 EUR fine would be a bit silly for something easily avoided.