POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 236 to 245 of 365)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 3 May 2010 18:20:16
Message: <4BDF4C18.6020009@gmail.com>
On 3-5-2010 20:40, Warp wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   I fear that you are projecting your notions of how "racist people" behave
>> and what they think on me, for the sole reason that I dared to mention
>> ethnicity as something which could be used for illegal immigration
>> statistics. As ironic as that may sound, I call that prejudice.
>
>   Btw, do you know what I find both interesting and sad?

Yes and do you know what I find interesting and sad?

That there is such a large gap between what you intend and what you
write. We have been through this several times and I really think that
you are sincere and that you are not a racist yourself. Somehow that
does not stop you from writing the most stupid things without realizing
what that means to others. Why don't you trust other people's judgement
if they say that a remark is a racist one? You might not really mean it
that way, you might not see all the consequences, you might just repeat
a convincing argument you heard in the pub, but some people here live in
societies where racism is part of everyday life. They have seen what
kind of arguments have led to what behaviour. Based on that they know
that e.g. racial profiling is bad, really bad. That has nothing to do
with being "devoted anti-racism activist" just experience and common
sense. The alternative is of course to decide that you know more than
anybody else and that you can insult every other loser here that
disagrees with you as much as you like.

>   But that's the modern western culture today. Either you are a devoted
> anti-racism activist, or a white-power supremacist. There is no middle
> ground. Especially there is no "I don't care" option.

Jim, Darren, me and whoever entered this discussion are all something in
between. IMO you are the one who is forcing everybody into some box or
another. The main message is that there are things you can better not
say on internet fora because people will read them wrong. That has not
so much to do with political correctness but with not insulting people
needlessly.

Post a reply to this message