POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 4 May 2010 07:57:49
Message: <4be00bbd@news.povray.org>
> So are you changing your view?

  *sigh*

>  Otherwise I don't understand the
> statement you made earlier about "if 90% of illegal immigrants are of
> Mexican descent, then you should check them more frequently" (not an
> exact quote, but you did make a statement to that effect).

  As opposed to "race must not be used for profiling because that's baaad!"

  People are oversensitive whenever "race" comes into question. All I said
is that if "race" *could* be used to catch criminals more efficiently, it
would make sense to use it. (Which is different from claiming that race
*can* be used for that purpose.) However, even making such a suggestion
seems to be a huge no no.

  How many times do I have to explain this? I'm tired of explaining it,
so I won't do it anymore. If you don't want to understand, then don't.
Think whatever you wish.

> >   If hair color can be used for some statistic, then so be it. If race
> >   can
> > be used for some statistic, then fine. I don't care. To me it's all the
> > same. I don't make any special distinction.

> Similarly, you couldn't say "people with black hair should be stopped to
> see if they're illegal immigrants" because the fact that they have black
> hair has no bearing on whether or not they're illegal immigrants or not.

  If it raises the apprehension rates of illegal immigrants, then technically
speaking it would make sense. (Of course a different question is whether it
really does, and another different question is how people will feel about
that.)

> That's because making a decision about someone's guilt or innocence based
> solely on the colour of their skin is a racist decision.  Period, end of
> story.  What about that don't you understand?

  What I don't understand is why you keep saying that even though I have
made absolutely no claim in relation to that. I have never talked about
"deciding someone's guilt or innocence". That's all your invention.

  But it really doesn't surprise me. When people see "race" and "statistics"
and "criminals" in the same paragraph, they immediately see "racism, racism,
racism, racism" and nothing else, and they start forming all kinds of
preconceptions of what was *really* being said.

  I am becoming really tired of these "you have said", "you claimed",
"you argued" lies.

--
                                                          - Warp