POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The dangers of LaTeX Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  The dangers of LaTeX (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: The dangers of LaTeX
Date: 23 Mar 2010 05:21:40
Message: <4ba88824$1@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, but for the weird capitalisation, this could look even more
dangerous than it already does...

Yeah, the trouble with LaTeX is that you sometimes get so excited with
how awesome the typesetting looks and writing the intro page and setting
up clever macro frameworks that you forget to, you know, WRITE SOME CONTENT!

Or maybe it's only me that does this?

I also find that whenever I go to somewhere like Staples, I have to
resist the urge to buy *everything*. It's like, "OMG, look! They have
*pens*! They have *pens* that actually *work*!! And look here! They sell
*paper*! Ooo, and *rulers*! I can never find one of those at home! Oh
God, over here they've got *erasers*! And a *hole punch*!! Ooo, and this
isle sells *card*! And..."

And then you have to stand back and say "no, *wait*. What the hell do I
need this much stationary for? Put it back on the shelves."

There's something really addictive about stationary...

Post a reply to this message

> Ah yes, but for the weird capitalisation, this could look even more
> dangerous than it already does...
>
> Yeah, the trouble with LaTeX is that you sometimes get so excited with
> how awesome the typesetting looks and writing the intro page and setting
> up clever macro frameworks that you forget to, you know, WRITE SOME
> CONTENT!
>
> Or maybe it's only me that does this?

Raw LaTex can be disturbing... that's why using a GUI like lyx is
somehow helpful, at least for me.

Post a reply to this message

>> Ah yes, but for the weird capitalisation, this could look even more
>> dangerous than it already does...
>>
>> Yeah, the trouble with LaTeX is that you sometimes get so excited with
>> how awesome the typesetting looks and writing the intro page and setting
>> up clever macro frameworks that you forget to, you know, WRITE SOME
>> CONTENT!
>>
>> Or maybe it's only me that does this?
>
> Raw LaTex can be disturbing... that's why using a GUI like lyx is
> somehow helpful, at least for me.

LyX is nice, but it doesn't let you use certain features. (And it
certainly doesn't let you add custom environments and stuff.) That's why
I generally use LaTeX directly. Still, LyX certainly has advantages -
like having some idea what your document is going to look like without
recompiling it every 20 seconds...

Post a reply to this message