POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The dangers of LaTeX : Re: The dangers of LaTeX Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dangers of LaTeX
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Mar 2010 10:15:29
Message: <4bab7001@news.povray.org>
I love how beautiful the output of TeX is. But I utterly hate the
trouble and strife of trying to alter how it does its job in even the
most trivial way.

I guess the fundamental problem is that TeX forces you to write
imperative instructions describing what actions to perform, rather than
allowing you to declaratively specify what you want the final result to be.

(And the *other* problem is that back when TeX was designed, you had to
actually care about whether the character set was ASCII or EBCDIC.)

For example, I want to typeset all my source code examples in dark green
instead of black. No problem. Define a new environment that inserts a
"change to green" command right before you start typing.

Oh, wait. Only THE FIRST LINE of text comes out green. The rest is
black. WTF?

Now I guess I could go digging and try to figure out what deep, dark
command sequence LaTeX is executing at each line end and start hacking
away at it. But I'd really rather not. So let's see if I can use
grouping to apply the colour change to everything...

Ah yes, that works. Now the whole example is green.

EXCEPT when the code fragment just happens to fall on the very first
line of a page, in which case it unexplicably comes out black again.
*facepalm*

If only you could take the beautiful fonts and wonderful typesetting
engine of TeX and stick it in a modern, modular, extensible framework. :-P