POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The dangers of LaTeX : Re: The dangers of LaTeX Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The dangers of LaTeX
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 25 Mar 2010 10:49:21
Message: <4bab77f1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible a écrit :

> For example, I want to typeset all my source code examples in dark green
> instead of black. No problem. Define a new environment that inserts a
> "change to green" command right before you start typing.

You know that you should concentrate on your actual text rather than
playing with the fancy gadget, unless you are in design mode.
That's why I like lyx: when you create a text, you do not change the
model; and when you create a model, you are not writing actual text.

> If only you could take the beautiful fonts and wonderful typesetting
> engine of TeX and stick it in a modern, modular, extensible framework. :-P

WYMIWYG, not WYSIWYG !
Good works remain good works under a better presentation.
Hiding bad works within good presentation is just B*S*ing the readers:
fine for marketing, bad for scientific publication.

If you need a specific presentation, either you are a template designer
or you are wasting your productivity on minor details.
Prepare your template, then write all your documents; Do not make the
"template" at the same time than the documents, think beforehand!
The time spend in the preparation will be factored in the ease to write
the documents later (and staying away of eye-candy at that time).

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.<br/>
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?<br/>