POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coraline (mini-review) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Coraline (mini-review) (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: Coraline (mini-review)
Date: 9 Mar 2010 15:53:58
Message: <4b96b566$1@news.povray.org>
I recently watched "Coraline" (again) on Blu-ray.  For some reason, I really
enjoy this movie.  I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a children's film.  In
fact, it's exactly the type of film that is almost certain to breed
nightmares in young children.  But hey, maybe kids need to be scared now and
then too.  ;-)  I read a review somewhere that described it as "delightfully
creepy", and I would have to say that it fits better than any simple
description.

It's visually stunning.  Because it's stop-motion, rather than CG, the
camera picks up lots of tiny details that would otherwise simply not exist.
In Blu-ray (and in theatres) this is perhaps more pronounced and might be
lost without high definition.  The Blu-ray transfer looks so good I want to
cry...  Perhaps it's due to the nature of stop-motion vs motion-film.  It's
normal to see a lot of grain in most motion pictures, but it's largely
absent here, similar to a CG movie.

The story really seems to pull the viewer in, as well.  It's one of only a
handful of films that can make me feel like I've truly left reality.  I
think part of the reason is that while it does have a simple musical score,
the music does not pervade every scene.  There are places where the silence
builds the suspense.  I don't see this feature in very many films, but more
producers/directors seem to be catching on.  Music has it's place, but I
think it's often over used in film.

Overall, I'm not sure if it's the story, or the art, or the plot.  I think
it's mostly a combination of all of those.  One of my other favorite films,
"Amelie", was often visually striking as well, with many scenes saturated
with color.  I don't think I would have enjoyed either one nearly as much if
they had not been so visual.

Post a reply to this message