POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coraline (mini-review) : Re: Coraline (mini-review) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coraline (mini-review)
From: Warp
Date: 11 Mar 2010 18:01:36
Message: <4b997650@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
> I recently watched "Coraline" (again) on Blu-ray.  For some reason, I really
> enjoy this movie.  I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a children's film.  In
> fact, it's exactly the type of film that is almost certain to breed
> nightmares in young children.

  "Stop motion puppets, fairy tale, protagonist is an 11yo girl... Bah, a
children's movie.... What do you mean? It's not for kids?"

  The producers really took a huge risk with this movie. It has everything
that people are prejudiced against: It's basically a fairy tale (kids stuff),
animated (kids stuff) and stop motion at that (even more kids stuff).
And producing a high-quality full length stop motion movie is quite
expensive.

  But the film is quite good, actually. I had been eyeing this movie on the
rental for quite some time, as I had heard good things about it, but never
got around to actually renting it. However, this thread finally gave me the
push I needed. I don't regret it.

  It's actually refreshing to see a movie made differently than the usual
CGI movies. I can appreciate the huge amount of work that had to be put
into this. Some of my favorite trivia:

"For the character of Coraline, there were 28 different puppets of varying
sizes; the main Coraline puppet stands 9.5 inches high."

"To construct 1 puppet of Coraline, 10 individuals had to work 3-4 months."

"There were at total of 207,336 possible face combinations for the character."

"One crew member was hired specifically to knit miniature sweaters and
other clothing for the puppet characters, using knitting needles as thin as
human hair."

--
                                                          - Warp