POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coraline (mini-review) : Re: Coraline (mini-review) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coraline (mini-review)
From: UncleHoot
Date: 10 Mar 2010 16:01:51
Message: <4b9808bf$1@news.povray.org>
"stbenge" <UN### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message news:4b970bcd@news.povray.org...
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>> I recently watched "Coraline" (again) on Blu-ray.  For some reason, I
>> really enjoy this movie.
>
> I liked it a lot, too. The whole idea is great, in a Twilight Zone sort of
> way. That part with the two old ladies singing and dancing in the theater
> was just too much! It was at that point I realized that the movie might
> not be entirely suitable for children ;)

Oddly enough, I was actually glad that someone was bold enough to put
something like that into a "kids" film.  My daughter (11 yrs) got quite
embarrassed, which was probably worth the price of admission for me.
Perhaps I'm a little sadistic.

I say "kids" (in quotes), because I don't think it's for everyone.  I
imagine that some parents were probably shocked and generally pissed-off
after taking their kids to see that movie.  I tend to be quite liberal in
that regard, so for me it was a breath of fresh air.  Having taken my
daughter to a lot of kids/family films over the years, this was the first
one that really inspired me.  I would agree that it's perhaps the equivalent
of "Children's Horror", if there is such a genre.