POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The question continues Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  The question continues (Message 77 to 86 of 126)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: The question continues
Date: 1 Feb 2010 21:41:14
Message: <4b6790ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/1/2010 9:44 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:07:32 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>
>> I guess most managers just don't make a habit of telling everybody how
>> much more money they earn than you do...
>
> At least here in the US, salary information is considered confidential
> and isn't supposed to be discussed with anyone other than your boss, HR,
> and payroll.
>
> Jim
The rule ostensibly being to prevent people griping to the boss about
someone else getting a raise. In reality, one suspects its so that the
person working 25 hours a week at $7.25 an hour, and taking food stamps,
doesn't found out that the guy two levels over him works 40 hours at $20
an hour, and the guy at the very top probably makes the equivalent of
$500 an hour, plus gets million dollar bonuses every year, even while
his incompetence just erased your job and that of 2,000 other people
that where in your same situation.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2010 00:15:38
Message: <4b67b4fa$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:23:41 +0100, andrel wrote:

> Because I know he lives in Milton Keynes, I doubt if that counts as a
> real city.

Population is about 228,000 people.  I think that counts; it may not be
Manhattan, but it is a reasonably heavily populated area.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2010 00:18:07
Message: <4b67b58f@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:41:16 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> The rule ostensibly being to prevent people griping to the boss about
> someone else getting a raise.

Well, yeah, and some people get really touchy about it.  I worked with a
guy several years ago who found out the department's administrative
assistant made more than he did; he asked me how I felt about it (never
mind the fact that I probably made more than both of them anyways, but if
I didn't, I really didn't care), and I said "good for her!" - which
caught him quite off-guard.

I don't see salaries as a competition; never have.  There's a difference,
though, between being paid competitively and being paid unfairly, so I
look to the industry averages for a point of comparison, never my co-
workers (as if I could anyways).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:09:48
Message: <4b67ebdc$1@news.povray.org>
>> He's asking what city you're in.
>
> Because I know he lives in Milton Keynes, I doubt if that counts as a
> real city.

WTF?

It's a major urban center. Of *course* it counts as a city!

(It even has its own "cathedral" - although IMHO it's not really worthy
of the title.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:12:51
Message: <4b67ec93$1@news.povray.org>
> You know, I've never heard anyone work so hard to justify staying
> miserable.

You haven't met my mother, have you?

>> Currently my employer loses around four million USD per year.
>
> Then it's definitely time to find a new job, wouldn't you say?

At what point have I ever suggested that now is not, in fact, the time
to find a new job? :-P

>> Right. Well then I guess it's just that everybody I've met happens to
>> be fairly poor then.
>
> If you rarely leave MK then that's probably true, yes.

You're right. I should go live in London, where everybody is still poor,
but everything costs 80x as much. :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:16:09
Message: <4b67ed59$1@news.povray.org>
>> Most of the "graduate jobs" I can find say something like £18,000 or
>> maybe even £20,000 if you have a 1st degree [which I don't].
>
> You're looking in the wrong place.

I had concluded that this was probably the case, yes. (But this just
raises the question of "where should I look then?")

> I made something like $35k *after*
> taxes upon graduating from college, at a company no better off than
> yours. In 1985. And this wasn't in a big bustling city either.

Don't wages vary depending on which country you work in though?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:33:28
Message: <4b67f168$1@news.povray.org>
> You're looking in the wrong place. I made something like $35k *after*
> taxes upon graduating from college, at a company no better off than yours.
> In 1985. And this wasn't in a big bustling city either.

You're on the other side of the world, you can't really compare.  For
example Andrew gets free healthcare and probably a lot more paid vacation
than you did there, not to mention the cost of living, taxes etc.  Even
between Germany and UK it is very different (eg Engineers get paid about 50%
more in Germany).

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 04:37:25
Message: <4b67f255$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Even between Germany and UK it is very different (eg Engineers get
> paid about 50% more in Germany).

Is this why Germany is legendary for having some of the best engineering
in the world?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Feb 2010 05:49:05
Message: <4b680321@news.povray.org>
>> Even between Germany and UK it is very different (eg Engineers get paid
>> about 50% more in Germany).
>
> Is this why Germany is legendary for having some of the best engineering
> in the world?

I don't think so, most Germans don't realise that they are getting paid more
than people in the UK (and vice-versa I would imagine).  I think it's more
to do with culture here, in that it seems (with my very limited sample
size!) that more people are willing to pay for things to be done properly,
and won't choose a cheaper alternative that is of lower quality.  This
results in some products simply not being available because there is no
demand for them, and probably contributes to the way things are designed in
the first place.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2010 06:01:29
Message: <4b680609$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I think
> it's more to do with culture here, in that it seems (with my very
> limited sample size!) that more people are willing to pay for things to
> be done properly, and won't choose a cheaper alternative that is of
> lower quality.  This results in some products simply not being available
> because there is no demand for them, and probably contributes to the way
> things are designed in the first place.

Ah, I see.

Most people I've met see only the price tag. Yes it's nice to have a
better product, but look at the price tag...

I think I mentioned at some point the horrifyingly low levels of
customer service that most companies provide. Most people wouldn't
switch to another provider to get better service, only to get a lower
price. Three guesses where that lower price comes from.

Personally, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind paying more money
if I actually get a better product. Then again, I shop at John Lewis, so
apparently I'm crazy.