POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Bad journalism (Message 11 to 20 of 59)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Bad journalism
Date: 29 Jan 2010 17:57:11
Message: <4B6367CC.709@hotmail.com>

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/nyregion/14fire.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1264791670-GxVD+sfKjvw04Ji/zop/fQ

>> It fails to explain how exactly the test discriminated. I looked at
>> some other articles, and none gives any detail whatsoever.
>
> The test "discriminated" because African-Americans (and possibly Hispanics)
> scored lower than their White peers. And since requiring applicants to be
> somewhat educated is such a repugnant idea, the obvious solution is of
> course to dumb down job requirements while sweeping the root cause of the
> problem, which would take actual work and money to fix, under the rug. It's
> always better to have semi illiterate constituents who you make to believe
> that you are doing them a favour than literate ones who don't need favours
> from you to stand on their own feet.

I do hope that the fact that education plaid a role is based on some
facts and not on the assumption that because the plaintiffs are black
the issue must therefore be one of education.
If there is no factual base for your claim all subsequent conclusions
are void.

Post a reply to this message