POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: Tim Cook
Date: 29 Jan 2010 18:09:50
Message: <4b636abe$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>>   If some group of people doesn't *want* to get educated, that's a
>> different
>> problem. It's *their* problem, not the problem in IQ or aptitude tests.
>
> I can't see where this one comes from. Are you aware that this could be
> interpreted as a racist remark? I am sure you don't mean to, but
> suddenly starting to talk about "people that don't *want* to get
> educated" in a discussion on how race influences test results is not a
> smart move IMHO.

Ties back into the comment I made about people insisting they're not
racist, they don't like people with a particular attribute that has
nothing to do with race--but consistently ascribe that particular
negative trait more to a specific racial group than any other.

"I don't hate blacks/hispanics, I hate people who are poorly-educated
(and the only reason to be poorly-educated is that you don't *want* to
learn).  It's not racist--nevermind that blacks/hispanics are
traditionally disadvantaged and not given as much education as whites
even in the same classrooms.  Learning is entirely up to the individual,
so all students in a given class will learn exactly the same if their
desire to learn is the same."

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net