POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad journalism : Re: Bad journalism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad journalism
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jan 2010 18:31:35
Message: <4b636fd7@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >   If the problem is that black people are in average more uneducated, the
> > proper solution to that problem is not to dumb down admission tests (which
> > in itself ought to have rather negative consequences related to job
> > performance and perhaps in some cases even safety), but to educate them.

> Keep in mind that education of minorities is not a priority for many
> white politicians. They tend to support laws that unintentionally hurts
> minority education more than that of their own children. All with the
> best intentions of course. (note that this is based on a generalization
> of what I understand from people and US conservatives in particular. I
> don't live there and I don't have explicit examples).

  The right solution is still not dumbing down admission tests, but to fix
the problems in education.

  Dumbing down admission tests can only have a negative effect, especially
in such a critical occupation such as a fireman. A person who is not
qualified for the job can end up hurting himself, his co-workers and
even the people who he ought to save and protect.

  Safety, especially when we are talking about people's lives, must always
go first, by a long, long shot. Political correctness comes as a far behind
second.

> >   Discrimination is when some people get preferential treatment over others.

> for reasons that are irrelevant to the matter.

  I consider skin color to be a rather irrelevant thing when talking about
fireman aptitude tests. Dumbing down tests because of skin color *is*
preferential treatment.

--
                                                          - Warp