POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second thread about that $300 film Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Second thread about that $300 film (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Second thread about that $300 film
Date: 19 Dec 2009 09:05:01
Message: <web.4b2cdce812950fc534d207310@news.povray.org>
Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought I heard about it from this group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

It IS a great inspiration to see what one guy can do in his basement.  (That's
why I love the early Disney & early Wallace & Gromit flicks).  I see all kinds
of things that will help in my animations.

But $300?? My specific objection is in the photorealistic smoke.  Can that be
done that well with a plug-in under twice that?  Doubtful.  And I didn't even
mention the program.  Don't get me wrong, this artist has done something
amazing, but I'm guessing he has access to $2k to $10k in software.  Perhaps it
was only $300 "once you already have" the software, which is like counting the
cost of the movie "Titanic" "once you already have" the ship.

Post a reply to this message

In other words, the proper inspirational message is, "This is what well-stocked
university computer labs can empower a student with talent to do."

It is NOT "This what you-- yes YOU-- can do with $300 if you have talent."

Oh, and it was slashdot (my memory IS failing!)

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/12/17/1711256/300-Sci-Fi-YouTube-Video-Lands-300m-Movie-Deal

Post a reply to this message