POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second thread about that $300 film : Re: Second thread about that $300 film Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Second thread about that $300 film
From: Captain Jack
Date: 22 Dec 2009 10:36:10
Message: <4b30e76a$1@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> "Captain Jack" <Cap### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> Some assets, if purchased specifically for a
>> development project, may be figured in as a cost
>> to the client,
>
> Yeah, it was the smoke. I in effect viewed smoke plugins as an asset
> specifically for the film.

It kind of depends on what you specialize in, too. If your studio is known
for smoke and other fluid effects, you probably just treat that software as
overhead.

The best smoke generator I know of (that isn't completely custom) is built
into Houdini, which is about the top of the mountain for pricing. The best I
know of that's in most studio's reach is RealFlow, which is still pretty
pricey, even for a single core CPU.

However, you can get some really great results with the particle-based fluid
generator that comes free in Blender. Turbulence4D is in beta, and some
people may have access to it for free. For the programmatically inclined,
there are some free algorithms with code floating about in the 'Net. Robert
Bridson and Ron Fedkiw are both big names in the fluid-simulation-for-video
field, and there's a lot of academic papers published by them that would be
helpful for someone trying to do it on their own. I have Bridson's book of
his compiled SIGGRAPH notes, and, while the math makes my head spin, the
ideas are all there, including some pseudo code for solving the PDE's for
different scenarios, including smoke.

I don't know what was actually used for this particular video, but there are
some pretty spectacular free tools out there. With some patience (okay, a
*massive* amount of patience) and ingenuity, it's possible to make stuff
like this without a big cash outlay. You may spend a couple of hours per
frame in rendering, but I think it's possible.

--
Jack