POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second thread about that $300 film : Re: Second thread about that $300 film Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Second thread about that $300 film
From: Captain Jack
Date: 21 Dec 2009 10:25:35
Message: <4b2f936f$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b2d11cb@news.povray.org...
>  Well, what should be counted into the "budget" of the movie?
>
>  If you make a movie using your personal computer, should the price of the
> computer be included, even though it was not bought precisely to make the
> movie? Should the electricity consumed by the computer during the
> production
> be counted? How about the rent, if you live in a rented apartment? The
> food
> you eat during the production?

Fixed assets, such as computer equipment and software, will be continuously
amortized to a zero value over a typical replacement time, say three years.
The value of the amortization over the project period would be a typical
cost tied directly to the project. Some assets, if purchased specifically
for a development project, may be figured in as a cost to the client, or the
cost may be shared between client and studio with an eye toward defraying
the cost of future projects, or the equipment and other assete may be
purchased outright by the client and leased back to the studio, which offers
some attractive tax options for the client. Electricity for the equipment,
lighting, travel, and other studio costs would normally be figured into the
a base rate for the project, and costed out as "overhead". Labor is
typically estimated in man-hours, with a min-max to protect the client from
overruns and a reasonably clear definition of what constitutes a change in
the project requiring additional labor to protect the studio, with
stipulations of bonuses/penalties for early/late delivery. Overtime pay will
almost always be the responsibility of the studio, unless you can get away
with charging a premium for "rush" delivery, or some such. If you can get
meals for the animators worked in under the line as an overhead expense,
more power to ya, but it won't happen if the client has a decent contract
lawyer.

Or wait-- was that a rhetorical question? I was never good at figuring that
out...

:-D

--
Jack