POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Miracle products (Message 61 to 70 of 114)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Miracle products
Date: 29 Nov 2009 05:44:57
Message: <4b1250a9$1@news.povray.org>
>> The only way to scientifically determine whether a claim is valid or not
>> is to, you know, actually investigate it. If we wrote off anything that
>> sounded too weird, human kind would never have advanced anywhere.
>
> Person A: I can read minds.
> Scientist: Hypothesis: Some people can read minds. Sure, let's test it.
> - Test yields a negative result -
> Person A: I was off that day. I cannot read minds on Fridays.
> Scientist: Sure, let's repeat the test on a Monday.
> - Test yields a negative result -
> Person A: The room was too cold. It doesn't work in the cold.
> Scientist: Sure, let's repeat the test in a warmer room.
> - Test yields a negative result -
> Person A: There are too many lights. I cannot concentrate.
> Scientist: Sure, let's repeat the test in the dark.
> - Test yields a negative result -
> Person A: Today's subjects were antagonistic. It doesn't work with
> everybody.
> Scientist: Sure, let's find new subjects.
> Person A: No, I've had enough. I don't have to prove myself to you.
> - next day -
> Person B: I can read minds.
> ... rinse and repeat.
>
> So what did the scientist "prove"?

That if this ability does exist, it's far too rare and/or unreliable to
be useful for military purposes, which was the point of the study.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 29 Nov 2009 05:47:11
Message: <4b12512f$1@news.povray.org>
>> The only way to scientifically determine whether a claim is valid or
>> not is to, you know, actually investigate it. If we wrote off anything
>> that sounded too weird, human kind would never have advanced anywhere.
>>
> No argument there. Now.. Given how only the people that cheat, lie,
> stack the deck, or consider "Blair Witch" style theatrics, followed by
> babbling, "That random sound sort of sounded like...", or, "Gee that
> random camera glitch moved like moved 'purposefully', why can't we drop
> the supposed paranormal already? Oh, and I love that last one, "move
> purposefully". By whose definition, by what criteria? That its less
> random than some other random light? More? Moved in what you *think* is
> a pattern? What the hell does "moved purposefully" even fraking mean
> without context of the ability to determine what the purpose *is*?

The military weren't studying the entire zoo of paranormal claims, they
studied one specific aspect: the claim that certain people can see
events distant in space and possibly time. This one is quite easy to
verify one way or the other. They tried; the statistics were
unimpressive; they gave up and shut down the project. Seems like a
non-WTF to me.

> Its been tested and retested ***over and over*** thousands of times,

It has *now*. Not sure about back when this study was done...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/