POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori" Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori"
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 29 Nov 2009 12:21:19
Message: <4b12ad8f@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> You know, I don't think this is true.  I think the religions pushing
> this stuff always knew they had no idea if they were actually right or not.

Oh, I think there have always been people who truly, honestly believe
that every single syllable of the Bible is the Word of God, and cannot
be wrong. Whether these are the people "pushing" religion is another
matter...

> Even nowadays, it surprises me (in some sense) that religious people
> object to the teaching of evolution here. You'd think if creationism
> were *true* and they *really* believed it, they wouldn't be worried
> about *science*.

Oh, I think *today* people just want to be right.

> Why would the church lock up Galileo if they thought his observations
> and deductions were factually incorrect?

They believed it to be blasphemy, a most evil sin, and that his work
could corrupt the minds of others. And the church's job, of course, is
to prevent the innocent from being corrupted. (Or raking in craploads of
money, depending on how cynical you are...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/