POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipedia Forever Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Wikipedia Forever (Message 3 to 12 of 32)
<<< Previous 2 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Wikipedia Forever
Date: 24 Nov 2009 15:25:00
Message: <web.4b0c4089e9da4d33d5409b160@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Five_Facts_About_Wikipedia/en?utm_source=2009_Notice38&utm_medium=sitenotice&ut
m_campaign=fundraiser2009&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3ASinh_cosh_tanh.svg&target=Five_Facts_A
bout_Wikipedia

>   "Even though Wikipedia is one of the top 5 most visited websites in the
> world, we employ fewer than 35 people."
>
>   What do they need 10 million dollars for?
>
>   How much does a bunch of servers, the necessary bandwidth and the salary
> of 35 people need? 10 million dollars?
>
>   The tasvideos.org site had recently to be moved from the original owner's
> personal computer to a rented server (because the original owner didn't want
> to run it on his own computer anymore). The server is rented completely by
> donations. A few hundred bucks were donated, and that will help keep the
> website running for a couple of *years*.
>
>   Of course the size are not comparable, but still 10 million dollars
> seems like quite a lot.

You're forgetting the Jimmy Wales ego stroking. :)

Post a reply to this message

>   "Even though Wikipedia is one of the top 5 most visited websites in the
> world, we employ fewer than 35 people."
>
>   How much does a bunch of servers, the necessary bandwidth and the salary
> of 35 people need? 10 million dollars?
>
>   The tasvideos.org site had recently to be moved from the original owner's
> personal computer to a rented server (because the original owner didn't want
> to run it on his own computer anymore). The server is rented completely by
> donations. A few hundred bucks were donated, and that will help keep the
> website running for a couple of *years*.

What is the necessary bandwidth for a top-5 website?  Heavy-traffic free
sites are always complaining about needing x money to pay for the
bandwidth they're using.  It is, apparently, not all that cheap.  So a
few hundred dollars doesn't even cover one month's traffic.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

> What is the necessary bandwidth for a top-5 website?  Heavy-traffic free
> sites are always complaining about needing x money to pay for the
> bandwidth they're using.  It is, apparently, not all that cheap.  So a
> few hundred dollars doesn't even cover one month's traffic.

  Apparently they are using optical fiber made of diamond and coated with
gold and platinum for their bandiwdth costs to reach the millions.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message