POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipedia Forever : Re: Wikipedia Forever Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipedia Forever
From: nemesis
Date: 24 Nov 2009 15:25:00
Message: <web.4b0c4089e9da4d33d5409b160@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Five_Facts_About_Wikipedia/en?utm_source=2009_Notice38&utm_medium=sitenotice&ut
m_campaign=fundraiser2009&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3ASinh_cosh_tanh.svg&target=Five_Facts_A
bout_Wikipedia

>   "Even though Wikipedia is one of the top 5 most visited websites in the
> world, we employ fewer than 35 people."
>
>   What do they need 10 million dollars for?
>
>   How much does a bunch of servers, the necessary bandwidth and the salary
> of 35 people need? 10 million dollars?
>
>   The tasvideos.org site had recently to be moved from the original owner's
> personal computer to a rented server (because the original owner didn't want
> to run it on his own computer anymore). The server is rented completely by
> donations. A few hundred bucks were donated, and that will help keep the
> website running for a couple of *years*.
>
>   Of course the size are not comparable, but still 10 million dollars
> seems like quite a lot.

You're forgetting the Jimmy Wales ego stroking. :)