POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipedia Forever Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Wikipedia Forever (Message 11 to 20 of 32)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Wikipedia Forever
Date: 24 Nov 2009 19:14:45
Message: <4b0c76f5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   3 million dollars in salaries? For 35 people that's over 7100 dollars a
> month. That's quite a salary for a free project funded by donations, I must
> say.

Well, one page says that an additional 10 people are getting hired, which
would put the salaries back in range with what they were last year. That's
about 66K/year, which is pretty shabby for technical work in San Francisco.

Page 19 shows 38.5 people, which comes out to an average of $78K/year, which
still isn't what I'd call a lot of money in San Francisco for tech,
fundraising, or finance&admin work. This is where a secretary averages $44K,
understand. A *legal* secretary (i.e., a secretary for a lawyer who
therefore has to know what some of the legal terms mean and etc) makes $70K.

It might be a bit high, but it's not what I'd call outrageous.

>   And the million dollars for the internet hosting probably goes to those
> optic fibers made of diamond and coated in gold.

Also of interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Statistics

 From what I can figure, it's bursting in the single-digit-gigabits per
second range of bandwidth.

This guy seems to think it's roughly $2K-$10K/month for bandwidth. Quadruple
the high end of that for maintenance, rental, electricity, and servers?
Still half a million.

>   Why do they need to spend 335000 dollars in travel, from donated money?
> Are they using golden limousines or something? Have they ever heard of
> buses and trains?

That doesn't really work in the USA. Unless you want to travel for 14 hours
to have a 2-hour meeting in the next city over.  Stuff is surprisingly far
apart in the US compared to what many Europeans are used to.

>   288000 dollars in fundraising. I suppose it's profitable, given how much
> their total budget is.
>
>   The legal spending I don't have a problem with, though, knowing it's
> the US.

That probably includes all the accounting and taxes and such as well, paying
auditors, etc. Basically "legal" covers "everything required by law to run
the corporation."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   You know the kamikaze monsters in Serious Sam

Post a reply to this message