POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Junkmail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Junkmail (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Invisible
Subject: Junkmail
Date: 23 Nov 2009 05:34:39
Message: <4b0a653f@news.povray.org>
Dear Mr Sanhord [Actually, I'm not Sanhord, but hey...]

With so much on your mind, it's easy to let data protection slide
farther down on your list of priorities. [Um, WTF? No it isn't. That's
pretty much priority #1, constantly.] Until you lose data, that is. Then
you not only think about the loss of data, but worry about the loss of
business. [And loss of our license to operate, for that matter...]

If your company is risking revenue by having insufficient data
protection, it's time to consider making a call to Dell. [Uh, no, it's
time somebody was fired! Hence we have multiple systems in place
precisely to prevent data loss...] We offer many simple solutions for
keeping data safe and secure, increasing efficiency, and reducing
downtime, all while cutting costs. [So... you're going to sell us stuff
and it will cut our costs? How do you work that out? Last time I
checked, buying things costs money. :-P ] This means your IT people will
have more time to focus on driving your business. [I *am* the "IT
people". And driving the business is BD's job, not mine.]

For more detailed information about Dell solutions, take a look at the
articles and case studies in the enclosed Connection catelog. This
month's issue contains valuable information on how to simplify your job
so you can get more done for less. [Um, OK...]

As a potential Dell customer, [Wait - we're getting this junkmail
because we *are* a Dell customer! That's how you got my collegue's name,
FFS!] you are entitled to personalized service from our team of trained
account managers and advisers. [I.e., salesman.] So pick up the phone
and call us. By assessing your company's particular needs and
challenges, we can help you improve the way your company manages its IT
right now. [That would be Corporate IT's job, not yours.]

Ah, but the "catelog" they sent us is pure gold.

I often get flyers and catelogues sent to me. I mean, our suppliers want
to encourage us to buy stuff, right? It _is_ their job. So you can
understand that. Insight UK typically sents me publications of varying
sizes that contain page after page of product pictures together with
brief specifications and prices.

This Dell thing, however, is very special indeed. Most pages just
contain lots of pictures of shiny server hardware, plus a lot of text
that rambles on about "empowering your business", "improving efficiency"
and "effortless management". There are no technical details. There are
no prices. Just unsubstantiated claims of "superior stability",
"next-generation performance" and "worry-free business". THE ENTIRE
PUBLICATION IS HOT AIR. There is NO substance to any of it!

Wow, I really wasted 20 minutes of my life on this... I don't know who
this thing is aimed at. The PHB, I'm guessing, because it's definitely
*not* aimed at me! ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> We offer many simple solutions for keeping data safe and secure,
> increasing efficiency, and reducing downtime, all while cutting costs.
> [So... you're going to sell us stuff and it will cut our costs? How do you
> work that out? Last time I checked, buying things costs money. :-P ]

Don't worry you're not alone, it seems that even quite important people in
high-up places can't grasp the concept that spending some money could save
you more overall.

At the moment I'm struggling to persuade IT at our HQ they should link our
independent phone systems together (this is what, at most a Cisco box and a
day's setup at each end?) even though after only a few months it would be
saving us money - they don't seem interested.

Post a reply to this message

>> We offer many simple solutions for keeping data safe and secure,
>> increasing efficiency, and reducing downtime, all while cutting costs.
>> [So... you're going to sell us stuff and it will cut our costs? How do
>> you work that out? Last time I checked, buying things costs money. :-P ]
>
> Don't worry you're not alone, it seems that even quite important people
> in high-up places can't grasp the concept that spending some money could
> save you more overall.

While it is true that investing money now can save you huge amounts of
money later, I very much doubt that buying a truckload of shiny
equipment from the most over-priced supplier in the marketplace is
actually going to help your costs. ;-)

> At the moment I'm struggling to persuade IT at our HQ they should link
> our independent phone systems together (this is what, at most a Cisco
> box and a day's setup at each end?) even though after only a few months
> it would be saving us money - they don't seem interested.

I guess a phone system just isn't "exciting" enough for them? Who knows.

Post a reply to this message