POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Junkmail : Re: Junkmail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Junkmail
From: scott
Date: 24 Nov 2009 10:35:38
Message: <4b0bfd4a@news.povray.org>
> While it is true that investing money now can save you huge amounts of
> money later, I very much doubt that buying a truckload of shiny equipment
> from the most over-priced supplier in the marketplace is actually going to
> help your costs. ;-)

Well sure, you need to check out if it will save you money or not (sometimes
this can be a very quick calculation and then it's obvious one way or the
other).  But too many people just say "no" because they only consider the
money spent and not the money saved.

>> At the moment I'm struggling to persuade IT at our HQ they should link
>> our independent phone systems together (this is what, at most a Cisco box
>> and a day's setup at each end?) even though after only a few months it
>> would be saving us money - they don't seem interested.
>
> I guess a phone system just isn't "exciting" enough for them? Who knows.

I think it's because they don't know how to link them.  I suggested to my
boss we simply pay a contractor to come and sort it out, but, sigh,
everything like that has to go through IT.  This isn't the first time their
incompetentness has come to the surface, only a few weeks ago they ran out
of space on the server and randomly moved half of everyone's stuff.  I mean
surely they should be looking at the graph of free space over time and do
something appropriate long before the space *actually* runs out.  Also,
rather amusingly, we can't access the public website of our own company from
the office because there is some DNS issue :-)  They suggested going through
a proxy server in Japan (which requires an account and you to log in) to get
to the site!!!