POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Computers are fast (Message 9 to 18 of 88)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Computers are fast
Date: 14 Nov 2009 19:02:14
Message: <4aff4506$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's like saying that Python is 1000 times faster than C by running the
> C program in a computer made in 1980 and the Python program in a computer
> made in 2009.

The link in the first sentence takes you to where he explains what he's
talking about in the follow-up.

"""
Life is good if you have applications or tools or games that you want to
write. Even a language like Ruby, which tends to hang near the bottom of any
performance-oriented benchmark, is thousands of times faster than BASICs
that people were learning to program 8-bit home computers with in the 1980s.
"""

It's not a language shoot-out. It's saying "this is what 30 years of
progress brings, when a "slow" language is 100,000 times as fast as a "slow"
language from 1980."

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)