POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast : Re: Computers are fast Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computers are fast
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Nov 2009 19:35:01
Message: <web.4aff4bba3487ce7f4ff148100@news.povray.org>
> SharkD wrote:
> > On 11/14/2009 6:21 PM, andrel wrote:
> >> He was specifically comparing it with his (ours I am afraid) experience
> >> with 8 bit hardware at *that* time. So you can not take points away for
> >> that.
> >
> > Yes you can.
>
> Only if you want to miss the entire f'ing point of the article.

I'd say the article is badly written.  I'm not supposed to know whatever
previous article says in order to understand the current one.  This one simply
compares an old slow language in old hardware against new slow language in
modern hardware and comes up with a silly conclusion:

"If the Atari BASIC program ran a thousand times, it would finish after 324,000
seconds or 5400 minutes or almost four days. That means the Python version
is--get ready for this--108,000 times faster than the Atari BASIC code.

That's progress."

without acknowledging hardware differences... like implying Python is, what,
120000x faster than Basic...

In order to know that the point of the article is not that one gotta read the
previous one.  As it is, without context, it FAILS.