POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computers are fast : Re: Computers are fast Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computers are fast
From: TC
Date: 14 Nov 2009 20:49:27
Message: <4aff5e27$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I do not know how old you are, but everything was SLOW back then. Even
accessing memory locations using peek and poke did take some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20

Now, all this is almost 30 years past. Maybe I misremember the time it took,
but I doubt it.

Back then you tried everything to increase speed. Instead of dividing by pi
you manually computed 1/pi and used this as a factor (muliplication was way
faster than division), instead of using x^2 you used x*x (faster ;-), I
think you get the picture. But if you did not experience this first hand,
you will not believe it.