POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  go! (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: go!
Date: 12 Nov 2009 11:47:26
Message: <4afc3c1e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I must admit, I'm not sure what this even means. Might be interesting
>> though.
>
> CSP. A bunch of actors running around exchanging messages
> asynchronously, each process being a single thread in its own address
> space. Like Erlang or any of the other dozens of languages designed for
> real-time distributed processing.

So you mean each thread waits for messages to arrive, processes them,
maybe sends some other messages, and then waits for the next message?

> That the channel itself is a first class object makes for the ability to
> do cool stuff like passing the channel to a new version of the program
> running on a different computer, so you don't lose any outstanding
> messages. Assuming they really mean "first class" there.

Mmm... In C, an integer is a "first class" thing, but that doesn't mean
you can send it over a network connection, for example. They might mean
that these channels only work inside a single running instance of a
single program.

>> Lots of languages have light-weight threads, no?
>
> Many have lightweight threads that also occupy multiple processors.
> I.e., most languages where you can launch 10,000 threads launch them in
> one process and fake it 100%.

Oh, OK. I assumed they all do what Haskell does - you call forkIO and it
creates a thread. You specify CLI options to say how many *real* threads
to use.

[It's mildly irritating that to change the number of real threads, you
must stop and restart your program - and also you can only control this
from the CLI args...]

> I'll have to see what kind of introspection they support and what kind
> of dynamic loading.

Ah, dynamic loading is fun.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/