POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! : Re: go! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: go!
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Nov 2009 15:18:55
Message: <4afc6daf@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:
> Question: How many Java programs have you seen that are more than
> Tic-Tac-Toe demo programs? ;-)
>
> (Personally, I haven't seen many - although there are a few...)

A large part of the e-commerce web is powered by java application
servers.  The reason you only see old tic-tac-toe java "applets" is
because that's what is left on the web after Sun's goals for desktop
java apps got spoiled by Microsoft with their own incompatible Java runtime.

That said, desktop java apps are still used at a fairly large scale.
Federal Postoffice agency here in Brazil uses one such app for all its
transactions.  It has that caracteristic Swing look-and-feel.  I gather
banks also rely on java infrastructure heavily.  You quite never deal
with it directly, though.  Only with the familiar generated HTML.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9