POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! : Re: go! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: go!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 17:00:15
Message: <4afc856f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Java applets sucked *everywhere* from incompatibility,
> at least as broken as HTML was, even from V1.0, long before MS wrote
> their own JVM.

Write once, debug everywhere(tm).

Also amusing was the way that every single revision of Java deprecated
massive chunks of the APIs and added entire new ones. And also how all
the APIs were insanely over-complicated and scantily documented.
(Anybody know the difference between Applet.init() and Applet.start()?
Because I don't! How many million methods does Component have?)

I especially liked how in one release they deprecated a set of methods
and provided replacements, and in the next release they deprecated the
new set and UNdeprecated the originals! o_O

I haven't used Java for ages. I wonder if it's calmed down yet?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/