POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! : Re: go! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: go!
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2009 14:03:50
Message: <4afc5c16@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Seems like a conceptually simple model.

That was the idea. Sort of like Lambda calculus - very simple, easy to prove
things about with the right formalisms. Then it turned into products.

> I would suggest that sending a channel over a channel is probably
> trivial, but sending a channel over a socket is probably *highly*
> complex...

Could be, could be. But you can conceptually make it work without breaking
the language.

> Well, now I guess I understand why everybody gets so excited about
> Haskell's concurrency support then. :-}

That's part of it.

> It's supposedly one of the big plus points of Java - not that I have
> *ever* seen *any* Java program which actually supports plugins, mind you...

At the time Java did it, it was rather new. Nowadays, Java's mechanisms are
fairly lame compared to the competition.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)