POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 203 to 212 of 312)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 11 Nov 2009 05:08:39
Message: <4afa8d27$1@news.povray.org>
> On the other hand, I wonder how much noise the signal has to be detected
> over?

10^26 Watts of star

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 11 Nov 2009 05:12:31
Message: <4afa8e0f$1@news.povray.org>
> I don't know about you, but if my house burnt down, this would be a
> catastrophy. I would be homeless, and financially destitute. The bank
> isn't going to let you stop paying the morgage just because your house
> burned to the ground. And with no house to sell, it is impossible to buy a
> replacement. I'd basically be homeless for the rest of my life. I wouldn't
> be able to *afford* a computer! Why would I care about some holiday photos
> when I'm going to be spending the rest of my life on the streets?

You ever heard of this thing called insurance?  Doesn't the bank demand that
your house is insured against burning down (and various other stuff) before
giving you a mortgage?

Besides, AIUI once you are declared bankrupt you can start again afresh, so
assuming you didn't lose your job just rent somewhere until you can save up
enough deposit to buy a new house.

Post a reply to this message

>> On the other hand, I wonder how much noise the signal has to be
>> detected over?
>
> 10^26 Watts of star

At which wavelengths?

I saw designs for digital filter that's supposed to recover a 2 mV
signal burried in a 250 V carrier. (And this was an introductory DSP
book.) This works because the two signals are at completely different
frequencies.

If you look at the emission spectrum of the star and pick a wavelength
where there's little or no emission, it could hypothetically work I guess...

Post a reply to this message

>> I don't know about you, but if my house burnt down, this would be a
>> catastrophy. I would be homeless, and financially destitute. The bank
>> isn't going to let you stop paying the morgage just because your house
>> burned to the ground. And with no house to sell, it is impossible to
>> buy a replacement. I'd basically be homeless for the rest of my life.
>> I wouldn't be able to *afford* a computer! Why would I care about some
>> holiday photos when I'm going to be spending the rest of my life on
>> the streets?
>
> You ever heard of this thing called insurance?

Sure. But I also know that an insurance company's job is to not pay out
under any circumstances whatsoever. Their entire business model is based
on preventing customers getting the money they're due. The fact that
insurance companies are all doing so well indicates that they must have
got very, very good at this.

> Doesn't the bank demand
> that your house is insured against burning down (and various other
> stuff) before giving you a mortgage?

I have no idea.

> Besides, AIUI once you are declared bankrupt you can start again afresh,
> so assuming you didn't lose your job just rent somewhere until you can
> save up enough deposit to buy a new house.

I don't know precisely how bankrupcy works, but presumably it means I
get to lose all my savings, my pension and my car. (Fortunately, in my
case not having a car isn't going to prevent me getting to work. It
will, however, prevent my mum getting to work, and she earns multiple
times my piffling income.)

Either way, exactly how many decades do you estimate it would take to
save up the astronomical sum required for a deposit?

No matter which way you look at it, a computer is the least of my worries.

Post a reply to this message