POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2009 11:26:03
Message: <4afae59b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I don't know about you, but if my house burnt down, this would be a
> catastrophy.

It's certainly not pleasant, no.

> I would be homeless, and financially destitute. The bank
> isn't going to let you stop paying the morgage just because your house
> burned to the ground.

The bank has no way to force you to pay the mortgage. At least around here.
They'll just take whatever's left.

But that's what insurance is for.

> And with no house to sell, it is impossible to buy a replacement.

You need a better job.

> (And then there's the "minor detail" that your backup copies will be in
> your house, and thus destroyed in the process...)

That's what a fire safe is for. Or a safe-deposit box.

> If you're trying to avoid downtime due to hardware faults, RAID is the
> right tool. If you just want to avoid losing a few specific precious
> files, a file-level copy seems more appropriate.

Sure.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)