POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Bad science fiction (Message 68 to 77 of 107)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Bad science fiction
Date: 18 Oct 2009 15:23:10
Message: <4adb6b1e@news.povray.org>
> I have no idea why everyone liked that movie. I thought it was awful.

  Give me a movie which everybody likes and nobody says anything like
what you wrote there, and I'll give you a movie which doesn't exist. ;)

> > it makes absolutely
> > zero sense to me to be sending a *manned* craft for such a mission.

> Except that when the fate of the entire world hangs in balance, having
> people there who can make decisions rapidly might be the difference between
> 8 people dying and extinction of the race.  Assuming they even were supposed
> to die.

  That's especially true since the movie establishes that the second ship
used up all the radioactive material the world could dig up, so it was their
absolutely last chance. One small failure in the ship, which could be
trivially fixed by a human crew, and the entire world is doomed. It makes
a whole *lot* of sense to make it a manned flight.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message