POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Oct 2009 17:35:22
Message: <4adb8a1a$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>> we can control gravity without using a
>>> centrifuge. I think this is more unlikely than FTL travel
>> Given these are both based on relativity, why would one be more likely than
>> the other?
>
> I wasn't aware we had any theories at all that might give us arbitrary gravity
> control. I'm a bit behind on my cutting-edge physics though so perhaps I missed
> it.

Well, we're looking for the Higgs right now. We have zero theories that
would give us FTL.  The closest we have, "Warp drive," assumes you're going
to frob gravity around to make it happen.

Actually, there's also the wormhole bit with "exotic matter", but it turns
out "exotic matter" means matter with negative mass, so again it's intertwined.

> I've certainly not read any SF that offered any explanation for gravity other
> than sheer mass, whereas there's lots of genuine relativity-driven FTL travel
> ideas knocking around.

I haven't seen any well-founded FTL mechanisms that don't assume it's done
through manipulation of gravity. Wormholes, black hole travel, exotic
matter, space warps... all gravity effects.

> Well it was a bit of a mishmash. But they had proper acceleration tanks, and I
> couldn't fault Sam Neill's pop-rendition of GR...

Fair.

>> Also: Equilibrium.
>> Also: Mission to Mars (altho the movie itself was not that great)
>
> Equilibrium was far too naked (and dumbed-down) a rip-off of Farenheit 451 +
> 1984.

Plot-wise, maybe. The acting was excellent, tho.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)