POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Bar codes (Message 21 to 30 of 53)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Bar codes
Date: 14 Oct 2009 17:33:09
Message: <4ad64395$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:22:57 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Now I'm thinking... it appears to be a standard Data Matrix barcode, so
> if I could figure out WTF the data encoded in it is, I could print as
> many of them as I like, without a fee...

Until you got caught, that is, and fined/put in jail for fraud.... ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Oct 2009 17:34:04
Message: <4ad643cc$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:17:25 +0200, scott wrote:

>> Interesting. So the film actually ends a different way depending on
>> which player you play it with?
>>
>> I bet that'll be popular...
>
> LOL, I suspect they can do it slightly more subtly than that!  They only
> need to make some tiny changes to some of the pixels to be detectable.
> In theory they could do what you suggest though, would be fun :-)

Probably a form of steganography, at a guess.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 14 Oct 2009 22:09:13
Message: <4ad68449$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> The article suggests that the system *is* supposed to be able to
>> narrow it down to a specific machine or possibly a small number of
>> such machines, not just a specific model.
>
> No, that's what I'm saying.  "Player" in *this* context means a set of
> keys (obviously).

What's obvious about that?

Hardware players are likely to have a Flash ROM or EEPROM anyway, so
it's no technical problem to equip each individual player with a unique key.

And as for motivating manufacturers to do that, it might be a
requirement of the license agreement they had to sign to implement
BlueRay technology in the first place.

Software players, OTOH, typically seem to share a common Device Key for
all installations of a particular player version.

At least that's what I read between the lines of the article.

Post a reply to this message

>>> The article suggests that the system *is* supposed to be able to
>>> narrow it down to a specific machine or possibly a small number of
>>> such machines, not just a specific model.
>>
>> No, that's what I'm saying.  "Player" in *this* context means a set of
>> keys (obviously).
>
> What's obvious about that?

Because I've read more than just one article on the subject?  The point is
to track down the key used to decrypt the content so the key can be added to
the blacklists on future players.

> Hardware players are likely to have a Flash ROM or EEPROM anyway, so
> it's no technical problem to equip each individual player with a unique
> key.

The hardware players are required to have FLASH in them, because they need
to update to new versions of blacklists. They're not (last I read) required
to actually have a separate key per player.

> And as for motivating manufacturers to do that, it might be a
> requirement of the license agreement they had to sign to implement
> BlueRay technology in the first place.

It might. But it isn't.

> Software players, OTOH, typically seem to share a common Device Key for
> all installations of a particular player version.

Typically they often do, but contractually they may be forced to provide a
separate key for each player if the blu-ray licensing folks feel it's
appropriate given the structure of the decoder in the software.

Read up more on how it all works. It's really quite impressively complex.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>>> No, that's what I'm saying.  "Player" in *this* context means a set
>>> of keys (obviously).
>>
>> What's obvious about that?
>
> Because I've read more than just one article on the subject?

Does that make it /obvious/ in this context? It may make it obvious to
/you/, but that's a different story.

 > The point
> is to track down the key used to decrypt the content so the key can be
> added to the blacklists on future players.

No. The point is to track down the key (as you say) to add it to the
blacklist on future /discs/.

>> Hardware players are likely to have a Flash ROM or EEPROM anyway, so
>> it's no technical problem to equip each individual player with a
>> unique key.
>
> The hardware players are required to have FLASH in them, because they
> need to update to new versions of blacklists. They're not (last I read)
> required to actually have a separate key per player.

What on earth should the players blacklist?

Unless the security stuff also contains an /additional/ mechanism to
somehow identify pirated copies of movies. But that's not what the
article is talking about.

Post a reply to this message