POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: John VanSickle
Date: 15 Oct 2009 08:03:06
Message: <4ad70f7a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> The impressive thing is, as far as I can tell, almost all barcode
> scanners support almost all kinds of barcodes. Even though each coding
> scheme is utterly unrelated to any of the others. God only knows how
> this is physically possible...

It's actually very simple.  As long as the scanner is close enough, and
is at the proper angle, all stripes of a given width will appear the
same to the scanner.  Each bar coding system uses a series of different
widths to represent each character.  Some systems use only narrow and
wide stripes (double width), while others will have stripes that are
three and four times the size of the narrowest stripe.  Generally each
character is comprised of a set of stripes that add up to a constant
width (or else the bar codes would appear to have different widths).

As you can see, once the series of widths is in the scanner,
interpretation becomes a software issues.  If the data doesn't make
sense under one coding scheme, the scanner can always run the same set
of width data through another scheme.

Regards,
John