POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: clipka
Date: 15 Oct 2009 00:48:57
Message: <4ad6a9b9@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:

>>> No, that's what I'm saying.  "Player" in *this* context means a set
>>> of keys (obviously).
>>
>> What's obvious about that?
>
> Because I've read more than just one article on the subject?

Does that make it /obvious/ in this context? It may make it obvious to
/you/, but that's a different story.

 > The point
> is to track down the key used to decrypt the content so the key can be
> added to the blacklists on future players.

No. The point is to track down the key (as you say) to add it to the
blacklist on future /discs/.

>> Hardware players are likely to have a Flash ROM or EEPROM anyway, so
>> it's no technical problem to equip each individual player with a
>> unique key.
>
> The hardware players are required to have FLASH in them, because they
> need to update to new versions of blacklists. They're not (last I read)
> required to actually have a separate key per player.

What on earth should the players blacklist?

Unless the security stuff also contains an /additional/ mechanism to
somehow identify pirated copies of movies. But that's not what the
article is talking about.