POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Oct 2009 23:36:55
Message: <4ad698d7$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> The article suggests that the system *is* supposed to be able to
>>> narrow it down to a specific machine or possibly a small number of
>>> such machines, not just a specific model.
>>
>> No, that's what I'm saying.  "Player" in *this* context means a set of
>> keys (obviously).
>
> What's obvious about that?

Because I've read more than just one article on the subject?  The point is
to track down the key used to decrypt the content so the key can be added to
the blacklists on future players.

> Hardware players are likely to have a Flash ROM or EEPROM anyway, so
> it's no technical problem to equip each individual player with a unique
> key.

The hardware players are required to have FLASH in them, because they need
to update to new versions of blacklists. They're not (last I read) required
to actually have a separate key per player.

> And as for motivating manufacturers to do that, it might be a
> requirement of the license agreement they had to sign to implement
> BlueRay technology in the first place.

It might. But it isn't.

> Software players, OTOH, typically seem to share a common Device Key for
> all installations of a particular player version.

Typically they often do, but contractually they may be forced to provide a
separate key for each player if the blu-ray licensing folks feel it's
appropriate given the structure of the decoder in the software.

Read up more on how it all works. It's really quite impressively complex.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)