POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tchaikovsky Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Tchaikovsky (Message 43 to 52 of 62)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Tchaikovsky
Date: 2 Oct 2009 17:45:44
Message: <4ac67488$1@news.povray.org>
>>  Most bands who have stuff that old have a pretty "dated" sound to me now,
>
> You mean like the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the
> Kinks, the Who, Frank Zappa...?

...what are you talking about?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: m a r c
Date: 2 Oct 2009 18:20:55
Message: <4ac67cc7$1@news.povray.org>

4ac67488$1@news.povray.org...
>>>  Most bands who have stuff that old have a pretty "dated" sound to me
>>> now,
>>
>> You mean like the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the
>> Kinks, the Who, Frank Zappa...?
>
> ...what are you talking about?

I was replying to Kevin who told (if I understand well) that most bands who
have stuff as old as Ummagumma sound dated...just question of taste

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Oct 2009 20:23:58
Message: <4ac6999e$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> 4ac665a8@news.povray.org...
>
>>  Most bands who have stuff that old have a pretty "dated" sound to me now,
>
> You mean like the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, the
> Kinks, the Who, Frank Zappa...?

Yes, with the caveat that I didn't mean "dated" in any sort of bad way
-- more just that it's more clear from listening to it when the music
was written.  I still think they are as good to listen to as they ever
were.  I mean, heck, since I like a lot of classical music it would be
pretty surreal to use "dated" as a pejorative.

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 3 Oct 2009 03:48:15
Message: <4ac701bf@news.povray.org>

4ac6999e$1@news.povray.org...
> m_a_r_c wrote:
>
> Yes, with the caveat that I didn't mean "dated" in any sort of bad way --
> more just that it's more clear from listening to it when the music was
> written.  I still think they are as good to listen to as they ever were.
> I mean, heck, since I like a lot of classical music it would be pretty
> surreal to use "dated" as a pejorative.

I did not understand it as pejorative but I still disagree :-)
We still hear Hendrix, Led Zep, the Who .... as soundtracks backing tracks
or as them of tv shows and those tracks could have been recorded yesterday
night..
What about *early* Pink Floyd?
I have the feeling that they were searching during that period (BTW some
must do it) while other were finding a new sound which is still surrounding
us.
Now it is a question of taste :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Oct 2009 05:00:31
Message: <bv2ec5pqq75415j75r3pgs567m4dmv6nid@4ax.com>
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:35:13 -0700, Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu>
wrote:

>That's odd -- I've never thought of Mahler as being particularly taxing
>to listen to.  It the tonality of the music actually grating to listen
>to or is it more that the large-scale structures bother you?

It is the tonality that gets to me. Although I do like Kindertotenlieder.

>> Now I am listening to a lot of Handle especially his Concerto Grosse. :D
>
>Good stuff!  Despite that I do really like modern music, I still spend
>most of my time listening to stuff more like this (well, this through
>late Romantic).
>
>If baroque or classical style is more to your liking but you're still
>interested in listening to some more modernish composers without the
>earache you might take a listen to Prokofiev's Symphony No.1,

OK I liked the clip I heard on you tube. I think that I must have been put off
him by seeing a couple of his operas. The first ever opera I ever went to was
"The Love for Three Oranges" then I saw "The Fiery Angel" at Covent Garden. I
like the concept but find the actual music too "sharp" to bear. For some reason
I confuse him with Shostakovich.
Needles to say I don't like Richard Strauss not to be confused with Johann
Strauss :)

>Villa-Lobos' Bachianas Brasileiras (no.5 is the best known here), or
>some of Busoni's Bach transcriptions (his arrangement of the famous
>Chaconne for violin in particular is quite well known) to name a few.

Yes I could listen to these and I thank you. I suppose that my problem (one of
them actually) is that I had no musical education and have had to pick things up
on my own.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Oct 2009 05:03:08
Message: <4n4ec55m4j2j79ii9c5lh3ohipp0duj0d3@4ax.com>
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:13:40 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Why would I need that? I have the sleeve notes right next to me. :-P

Why indeed :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Oct 2009 05:19:17
Message: <nu4ec55vel8vb62aammj1andm3cq3ca4qg@4ax.com>
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:42:12 -0700, Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> No I spent many hours listening to it in my youth. :D
>
>And you say you don't like avant-garde music :-)

Where? What? When?

I didn't say that at least I don't think I did. I tend to split up my musical
tastes into eras that are quite distinct. In the 60's I liked pop music and folk
music (Scottish and Irish) in the 70's Rock, Blues and Psychedelia. The 80's say
me being corrupted with Classical and Opera. I seldom listen to my earlier
likes.

>> How about "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun"?
>
>I have heard this one (and quite like it).  I really should get a few
>more Pink Floyd albums though, it's just that there's already so much
>music in my queue to buy.

How true :)

>I'm always impressed by how little their sound has aged over the years.
>  Most bands who have stuff that old have a pretty "dated" sound to me
>now, but somehow Pink Floyd manages to still manages to sound like it
>could have been made recently.

I agree they were so "off the wall" they were in a universe of their own.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Oct 2009 05:25:53
Message: <8q5ec51s3hp7didf3kqeuevb5mnl8j90rf@4ax.com>
On 2 Oct 2009 12:05:46 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Oh, I never said I'd pay money to see/hear it. ;-)

Phew!

>But I've heard it several times myself - in fact, you could say, I've
>performed it several times (never for an audience, though - and certainly
>never for profit).

MacFucius say: "Man who listen to Cage has wax in his ears! Aum!
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 3 Oct 2009 15:09:19
Message: <4ac7a15f$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> OK I liked the clip I heard on you tube. I think that I must have been put off
> him by seeing a couple of his operas. The first ever opera I ever went to was
> "The Love for Three Oranges" then I saw "The Fiery Angel" at Covent Garden. I
> like the concept but find the actual music too "sharp" to bear. For some reason
> I confuse him with Shostakovich.

I mentioned this piece in particular (as well as the Villa-Lobos and
Busoni pieces) is that it's a blend of modern and classical forms.
Prokofiev wrote this symphony with the idea "What sort of symphony would
Haydn write if he were alive today?"  I figured this would make them a
bit more palatable.

> Needles to say I don't like Richard Strauss not to be confused with Johann
> Strauss :)

You don't like Richard Strauss!?  I can see some of his operas and such
but many of his tone poems at least have quite normal tonality.  Also,
even if you don't like his music, if you haven't heard his Vier Letzte
Lieder then you really, really should.  I'm hard pressed to think of
more beautiful pieces of music written in the 20th century (I prefer the
version with Karajan and Gundula Janowitz, but tastes vary here).

> Yes I could listen to these and I thank you. I suppose that my problem (one of
> them actually) is that I had no musical education and have had to pick things up
> on my own.

Truly, it is my pleasure to recommend music and I'm totally happy to
suggest many more pieces whenever you should want it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 3 Oct 2009 18:38:56
Message: <4ac7d280$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:
> I did not understand it as pejorative but I still disagree :-)
> We still hear Hendrix, Led Zep, the Who .... as soundtracks backing tracks
> or as them of tv shows and those tracks could have been recorded yesterday
> night..
> What about *early* Pink Floyd?

Maybe somewhat less so with early Pink Floyd.  I do think that's it's
more a matter of opinion than anything which actually has a definite
answer though.  I think mostly it derives from the fact that to me Pink
Floyd's sound seems more removed from that of other bands in the same
time.  I sort of suspect that I'll view Radiohead similarly in a few
decades for about the same reason.  Still though, I'll go with you
"question of taste" assessment.