POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tchaikovsky : Re: Tchaikovsky Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tchaikovsky
From: Stephen
Date: 3 Oct 2009 05:00:31
Message: <bv2ec5pqq75415j75r3pgs567m4dmv6nid@4ax.com>
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:35:13 -0700, Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu>
wrote:

>That's odd -- I've never thought of Mahler as being particularly taxing
>to listen to.  It the tonality of the music actually grating to listen
>to or is it more that the large-scale structures bother you?

It is the tonality that gets to me. Although I do like Kindertotenlieder.

>> Now I am listening to a lot of Handle especially his Concerto Grosse. :D
>
>Good stuff!  Despite that I do really like modern music, I still spend
>most of my time listening to stuff more like this (well, this through
>late Romantic).
>
>If baroque or classical style is more to your liking but you're still
>interested in listening to some more modernish composers without the
>earache you might take a listen to Prokofiev's Symphony No.1,

OK I liked the clip I heard on you tube. I think that I must have been put off
him by seeing a couple of his operas. The first ever opera I ever went to was
"The Love for Three Oranges" then I saw "The Fiery Angel" at Covent Garden. I
like the concept but find the actual music too "sharp" to bear. For some reason
I confuse him with Shostakovich.
Needles to say I don't like Richard Strauss not to be confused with Johann
Strauss :)

>Villa-Lobos' Bachianas Brasileiras (no.5 is the best known here), or
>some of Busoni's Bach transcriptions (his arrangement of the famous
>Chaconne for violin in particular is quite well known) to name a few.

Yes I could listen to these and I thank you. I suppose that my problem (one of
them actually) is that I had no musical education and have had to pick things up
on my own.
--

Regards
     Stephen