POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encouraging "Art" in your child Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Encouraging "Art" in your child (Message 7 to 16 of 36)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child
Date: 24 Sep 2009 11:50:36
Message: <4abb954c@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:
> Encouraging your child to be creative may be the very best gift you can give
> her, I think.

I'm not gonna argue with that.

> For general study in drawing, you can't beat "Drawing on the Right Side of
> the Brain", by Betty Edwards. There's a companion workbook you can get for
> it that's pretty good, too.

I have this book. I found it to be rather unhelpful.

Post a reply to this message

From: Captain Jack
Date: 24 Sep 2009 13:07:41
Message: <4abba75d$1@news.povray.org>
>> For general study in drawing, you can't beat "Drawing on the Right Side
>> of the Brain", by Betty Edwards. There's a companion workbook you can get
>> for it that's pretty good, too.
>
> I have this book. I found it to be rather unhelpful.

I've got another book I like, called "From Script to Screen" (IIRC, by
Shamus Calhun, the spelling of which I may be butchering badly) where the
author talks about traditional animation (really more history and business
than artistry, but, still...) and he talks about his drawing technique, and
how it's similar to what Betty Edwards was talking about.

What I took away from her book was the importance of getting away from rigid
structures and goals in my drawing (I do my best thinking in terms of
mathematics and software design) and to let the myself "zone out" and "just
draw". There's something about letting loose of concentration and analysis
and especially a need to erase that has helped my drawing skills a lot.

Not that they didn't need serious improvement from the outset, mind you. :)

Post a reply to this message