POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encouraging "Art" in your child : Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child
From: Reactor
Date: 24 Sep 2009 16:45:01
Message: <web.4abbda00b1bc4d7f7b3eed060@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote in message
> > That reminds me that my dad used to encourage me in my youth artistic
> > endeavours.  Once I decided to learn to paint, oil, brushes, frames and
> > all.  There goes my old man and brings home the full painter's kit.  For
> > some reason I can't understand even now, I never touched it.
> >
> > I can't really say whatever happened, certainly it was not my intention to
> > piss off my father.  Perhaps I was too much overwhelmed by the task... :(
>
> Or perhaps you felt too much pressure.  I can relate to that.

I strongly agree.  In fact, Jeremy, accidental pressure can be a very large
issue, even to the point that it may be a good idea to avoid giving her
unrequested art supplies directly, instead providing her with a small "art
supply budget" for birthdays or other such, and let her decide what to get with
it (the rationale being that a well meaning person can accidentally pressure you
in a direction by, say, gifting a set of watercolors when you really prefer oil
pastels, but you don't want to disappoint them).  Disclaimer:  I am not a
parent.

-Reactor