POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encouraging "Art" in your child Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Encouraging "Art" in your child (Message 27 to 36 of 36)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child
Date: 25 Sep 2009 09:20:28
Message: <4abcc39c$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>
>> Any advice?  Tips?
> I particularily agree with the advice several have already offered here,
> to expose her to as much original art as you can, museums, galleries, etc.
> From even a single piece of museum art she may feel the identity with the
> 'tribe', feel their companionship, and their challenge.
>
> And from you, unconditional support, no critiques.
>
> And as others have also said, have the supplies available to nurture the
> interest.  (From my own memories, paper, reams of it, enough to swim in.)
>
> Use a light touch.  Even if it goes no where it will have been a part of
> her life lived intensely.

From my memories, my Mom was always simply saying things like, "Wow, Jeremy!
That looks great!"  That was nice.  My Dad, on the other hand, would often
be more critical, but was also very supportive.  That was true, not just of
my paintings, but schoolwork, sports, etc.  "That's great, but I know you
can do better."  To this day, I really don't know if that helped me, or
hindered me, or had no overall effect.  I'm sure it motivated me, but I'm
not sure that it motivated me in the right way.  It's more heavy handed than
I would like to be with my daughter.

Post a reply to this message