POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encouraging "Art" in your child : Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encouraging "Art" in your child
From: Jim Charter
Date: 25 Sep 2009 16:41:41
Message: <4abd2b05$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> "Shay" <n@n.n> wrote in message news:4abcf6f1$1@news.povray.org...
>
>>Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>>

> Yes.  Discipline is needed to be successful at _anything_ in life.
> Unfortunately, I lack a lot of it myself, and I'm often concerned that I
> haven't properly taught it to my daughter.  (not to be confused with
> punishment, even though the terms are often used as if they are
> interchangeable.)

I think there is instances where discipline can come later and/or from
outside.  Give direction on life issues sure, but not aesthetics.

I spent hours with my daughter tossing her pitches to bat into a screen.
  I gave her technical coaching on batting not at all. We had great
times.  She had a huge appetite for practice. Later her high school
coach, who actually knows something about it, took that raw material and
turned her into one of the leading batters in the city.  Meanwhile I
watched as the children of other parents smothered trying to please
half-baked demands to 'straighten your hips' or 'bend your knees more'
or whatever.

I remember as a child my dad taking me to a museum and, God bless him,
trying to relate, pointing out to me that the thick impasto on one
painting was gotten with a stubby thick brush.  Of course just the
opposite is true and I loved him for trying but I knew I was on my own
course and I needed to seek out others like me.  I recognized how hard
it was for him when I chose art class over boy scouts.

The precious thing about an eleven year old making drawings is that they
are actually creating little worlds for themselves.  Not works of
aesthetics.