POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux) (Message 69 to 78 of 78)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: An annoying thing in Windows (which mostly doesn't happen in Linux)
Date: 22 Sep 2009 16:08:50
Message: <4ab92ed2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> while you can move the documents, **I know** personally that this
>> breaks some applications which expect the document path to remain the
>> same, after detecting they are in XP or higher.
>
> Such an application that assumes absolute folder paths that are hard
> coded would be ridiculous.  It would mean for instance it would only
> work on English 32bit XP and nothing else.  German XP (and I suspect all
> other languages) has different folder names for My Documents, 64bit has
> a "Program Files (x86)" folder, Vista has C:\Users rather than
> C:\Documents and Settings, didn't Win2K have C:\WINNT as the windows
> folder or something? Basically such a program would suck so much, the
> fact that it stored it's data on C rather than D would be the least of
> your worries.
>
> BTW Vista can trick older/badly written programs in to thinking they are
> writing to a certain location, but actually stores the files in the
> correct area.  If you tell Vista your user area is somewhere else (eg D
> drive) then really everything will be put on the D drive, even by badly
> behaved programs that try to write directly to the C drive.

Uh. Think you misunderstand. At least one did, more or less, this:

1. Install.
2. First start up - ask OS where 'My Documents', or local equivalent is.
3. Create folders for here for the documents, then store this location.
4. I change the location in OS (And.. you would think if you had this
option they would include an "move related documents to new location",
option...).
5. Program breaks, since its *looking* for what was created in #3,
rather than asking the OS if the path to 'My Documents' is the *same* as
it was when it installed originally.

This is far more likely to be common than for my copy of XP to suddenly
morph into 64 bit, or German. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Sep 2009 16:10:06
Message: <4ab92f1e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> BTW Vista can trick older/badly written programs in to thinking they are
> writing to a certain location, but actually stores the files in the
> correct area.  If you tell Vista your user area is somewhere else (eg D
> drive) then really everything will be put on the D drive, even by badly
> behaved programs that try to write directly to the C drive.

Oh, and just to be clear, who the frack wants Vista? lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 03:13:46
Message: <4abb1c2a$1@news.povray.org>
> 1. Install.
> 2. First start up - ask OS where 'My Documents', or local equivalent is.
> 3. Create folders for here for the documents, then store this location.
> 4. I change the location in OS (And.. you would think if you had this
> option they would include an "move related documents to new location",
> option...).
> 5. Program breaks, since its *looking* for what was created in #3, rather
> than asking the OS if the path to 'My Documents' is the *same* as it was
> when it installed originally.

One has to wonder, that if the programmer went to the effort to find out
where My Documents is, why they only did it once and then had to store the
path somewhere!  That's even worse than not bothering to do it at all (from
a coding point of view).

> Oh, and just to be clear, who the frack wants Vista? lol

I do, it means my 3D CAD application only takes 5 seconds to open rather
than >1 minute under XP.  SuperFetch FTW!

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Sep 2009 11:41:49
Message: <4abb933d$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> One has to wonder, that if the programmer went to the effort to find out
> where My Documents is, why they only did it once and then had to store
> the path somewhere!

No, they'd store something like
"\Docs and settings\george\My Documents\Pov Ray Scenes"
instead of constructing it each time.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 17:00:47
Message: <4abbddff$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> One has to wonder, that if the programmer went to the effort to find
>> out where My Documents is, why they only did it once and then had to
>> store the path somewhere!
>
> No, they'd store something like
> "\Docs and settings\george\My Documents\Pov Ray Scenes"
> instead of constructing it each time.

Hmm. Example - Both Corel PSP X and X2 store things as:

c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...

Unless its checking, once it starts up, and correcting the links...

You know, I really wish some applications like this supported a "move
install" function. I wouldn't mind freeing up the 400M from C, which I
stupidly made too small of the OS, by dragging PSP X off there, but
other than manually editing all the critical locations in the system
registry, which is to say, all 90 of them (one for each brush path,
displacement map path, script path, path paths, path to path paths)..
o.O And, reinstalling looses you any settings you had, which just makes
things even more damn fun. Sigh...

Seriously. I wouldn't mind in the least if people treated applications
like.. real world tools, and doing the equivalent of moving them out of
the garage didn't cause your electric drill didn't stop working the
moment you had it in the living room. If you think about it, its a damn
stupid way to handle applications, which are basically tools, and *may*
need to be moved around once in a while too, even if to just save space
on the work bench.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Sep 2009 17:13:26
Message: <4abbe0f6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. Example - Both Corel PSP X and X2 store things as:
> c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...

The point was that they don't store the base location of your home
directory, but rather paths built from that base location.

> other than manually editing all the critical locations in the system

That's what search and replace is for?

Or, make your OS partition bigger?

> If you think about it, its a damn
> stupid way to handle applications, which are basically tools, and *may*
> need to be moved around once in a while too, even if to just save space
> on the work bench.

It's a cost vs benefit kind of thing. The number of sales they lose due to
people with a too-small system disk and a second disk that's big enough
added later is probably smaller than the cost of writing, testing, and
supporting that functionality.

Why not just move the executable and leave the data behind?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Sep 2009 13:45:55
Message: <4abd01d3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Example - Both Corel PSP X and X2 store things as:
>> c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\...
>
> The point was that they don't store the base location of your home
> directory, but rather paths built from that base location.

Yes, well. Not everyone got the point. lol

>> other than manually editing all the critical locations in the system
>
> That's what search and replace is for?
>
> Or, make your OS partition bigger?

Uh, regedit doesn't allow "replace", well, unless you do something
insane, like exporting the entire tree, doing a search and replace on
the plain text, then import again.

As for making the OS partition bigger.. Kind of problematic in my case,
its like:

20% OS
40% data
40% Fedora - using a virtual file system, which *normal* partition
managers can't even work with, remove, etc.

I would have to wipe the Fedora, reset the MBR to boot to windows
properly, move the data partition up on the drive, and optionally make
it a hair bigger too, *then* expand the C drive. :p I can live with
cleaning the thing up and getting rid of about 4G of junk that
accumulated, like multiple JRE updates that the installers leave, "just
in case something needs the older JRE."

>> If you think about it, its a damn stupid way to handle applications,
>> which are basically tools, and *may* need to be moved around once in a
>> while too, even if to just save space on the work bench.
>
> It's a cost vs benefit kind of thing. The number of sales they lose due
> to people with a too-small system disk and a second disk that's big
> enough added later is probably smaller than the cost of writing,
> testing, and supporting that functionality.
>
> Why not just move the executable and leave the data behind?

Because the data is what is taking up 99% of the space, and not sure
that would fix everything. Moving 500MB of program won't do you a bit of
good if the data is 2-3GB. :p

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 25 Sep 2009 14:22:42
Message: <4abd0a72$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Uh, regedit doesn't allow "replace", well, unless you do something
> insane, like exporting the entire tree, doing a search and replace on
> the plain text, then import again.

Well, yes. Or just the sub-tree of interest.  Or write a piece of program to
do it for you in any one of the dozen languages that allow easy access to
the registry.

> I would have to wipe the Fedora, reset the MBR to boot to windows
> properly, move the data partition up on the drive,

Yeah, if your disk is already full, you can have that problem. :-)

> Because the data is what is taking up 99% of the space, and not sure
> that would fix everything. Moving 500MB of program won't do you a bit of
> good if the data is 2-3GB. :p

Huh. I have two versions of PSP installed, and one takes about 100K for the
data, and the other takes about 250K.

Or you could go to file->preferences->file locations and change them. I
thought you were talking about moving the application. Moving the files is
pretty easy.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Sep 2009 18:32:23
Message: <4abe9677$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Huh. I have two versions of PSP installed, and one takes about 100K for
> the data, and the other takes about 250K.
>
> Or you could go to file->preferences->file locations and change them. I
> thought you were talking about moving the application. Moving the files
> is pretty easy.

Well, tell you the truth, I stopped looking closely, after I got a good
look at how many links there are in the mess. Mind, you, there "seems to
be" a couple of "auto update" services, or something, for X and X2 that
are in the registry too, so, moving everything some place else would
tend to move those links as well. Basically, something would "need" to
be fixed, even if most of the changes where simple to do later in the
application. I wouldn't even keep X on the machine, except X2's file
browser sucks, so I don't want to switch over, until/unless I can make
it stop searching "all" directories (instead of the one being viewed),
and opening fracking video files, when I can't even edit them with it.

Don't know who the bone head was that wrote that component, but...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Sep 2009 19:59:46
Message: <4abeaaf2@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Don't know who the bone head was that wrote that component, but...

Agreed. I keep PSP8 and X2 both.  PSP8 unfortunately doesn't work well under
Vista or I wouldn't have bothered to buy the new one.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)